Miniature Showcase

Waaagh! Warboss in Mega Armor

This miniature was part of a two piece commission. The client was very specific with the look he wanted and I painted it as close as possible to the original reference. These are shots of the miniature before and after priming. I had to do multiple passes with the new white primer I got to reach some of the harder to reach areas. I do plan on adding some black to the primer at some point to make it more gray and opaque for application.

I mixed some red and purple into white paint for the magenta base coat I used for the armor. I also used a bright deep green for the ork skin color. I actually really like the contrast of the magenta and green skin tone. Both colors make the other pop. The effect just gets better when the details are added.

I started adding metallic accents to the armor in both bronze and gunmetal silver. I also began adding some gunmetal silver dry brushing to the exhaust pipes in the back. I liked the contrast of two different metals in the armor and it gave it a more cobbled together look. Like the maker was taking whatever parts they could to make the suit.

Then I started work on the weapons by adding more bronze to the look. It looks really bright right now but this is just the base coat. I added a dark undertone to the ork skin using a mix of green and black paint. Using that combo, I added shadow and depth to the skin tone. I also added a lighter purple/pink highlight to the edges of the armor. This gave it a more animated look. I hadn’t anticipated that effect but it came out looking quite good.

I began to work on the banner colors and the client wanted a specific red and yellow theme for the banner. I also began painting the smaller goblin on the back of the Warboss by painting in the leather clothing and some of the gun parts it was holding. I added a second highlight color to the edges of the armor, this time a bright pink to add more dimension to it. I also added depth the the handle of the giant ax with some brown over the bronze. Everything looks blocky now but I was not done yet.

After everything was base colored, detailed and ready for the last coat I added some dark tone wash to deepen all the colors. This gave shadows to the miniature and blended some of the sharper lines that were still left. I also added some silver dry brushing to the banner to give it some luster and the look of chipping paint. I dry brushed white over the gunmetal silver areas to dull the metallic look a bit as well.

The final step was to paint the bases. I went with the basic black to keep the attention on the miniature itself. Overall I was super happy with the end results. It looks like something out of Borderlands and I had a great time painting it and matching the theme the client wanted. He was super happy with the work and I’ve got these awesome pictures to remember these miniature by.

Have any questions or comments? Message below or find me on Twitter @DnDWifeStories and on Instagram @dndwife. I would love to hear from you!

Published by dndwife

My husband and I run a dungeons and dragons table together and I write about our crazy adventures both in and out of the story. My husband DM's and I am the table artist. I paint minis for everyone at the table and provide crafted gifts like dice boxes, bags, and artwork.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: