Miniature Showcase

Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun

This miniature was for a two miniature commission. It has probably been the most intimidating commission to date. There are so many small details and delicate parts I was afraid of breaking some of them off. Another challenge was the space between the gun and the orc’s body. It was going to be tough to paint.

After priming photo above. This was one coat of three I had to apply to make sure all areas were smoothly covered without destroying the tiny details in the miniature. It was just as tough as I thought it was going to be filling in all the small details and the areas that were hard to reach. That said, this was a great print. The miniature had no lines like some 3D printing jobs and they managed to add so many fine details.

The client wanted a bright green skin so I began experimenting with various colors. I started off light because it is always easy to darken a color but lightening one is harder and sometimes impossible to achieve. I also began experimenting with a base color for the gun’s effect. I used a metallic blue to start because the fluorescent paints are translucent unless applied in many layers to deepen the pigmentation.

I began adding the other colors to the specifications from the client. There were so many colors and metals to paint. I used a silvery metallic and a bronze for the metal parts of the armor and weapon. I added the small details like nuts and bolts and I painted in the warnings and instructions like the yellow arrow and lightning bolt. I also blocked in the base coat for the goblin that is being sucked into the weapon.

I finished the base coats with the black banding on the yellow tubing and filling in the vents. All the tiny details have been applied now. I even added some fun fluorescent accents. I also finished painting the goblin and orc, adding a bone color to their teeth and claws. There is also a tiny black skull on the orc’s wrist that I also made sure was added. I loved all the small things that made this miniature come together. I also added some darker green to the shadowed parts of the orc and goblin to create depth in the skin.

For the final details I used a dark tone wash to cover the entire miniature. This served to deepen all the colors and add more shadows to the existing ones. It also gave the mechanical parts a nice oily look which fits so well with this type of miniature. I was not expecting it to look this good at the end when I painted the base as the last step. It looked really cool and I was super proud of the work.

Have any questions or comments? Message below or find me on Twitter @DnDWifeStories and on Instagram @dndwife. I would love to hear from you!

Published by dndwife

My husband and I run a dungeons and dragons table together and I write about our crazy adventures both in and out of the story. My husband DM's and I am the table artist. I paint minis for everyone at the table and provide crafted gifts like dice boxes, bags, and artwork.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: