Miniature Showcase

Beholder

This was one of my very first miniatures. I love the Beholder. The creature is so cool and deadly to players. This was a D&D miniature, which comes pre-primed and ready to paint. It was nice starting out with miniatures that didn’t require primer. One less thing to worry about when you are just beginning to learn.

I started off by painting most of the Beholder in a deep but bright red. I started on the eye right after and wanted it to look like a cross between a demonic and human eye. I started with a white eyeball and added some nice red veins branching out through the white. I painted the pupil the same bright red and the iris a golden yellow. I also added golden yellow lines to the pupil to add dimension to the eye.

I moved on to painting the scales that are flaring out from the body/head. I started off with a shiny black and then went back over it with a gray drybrush. The drybrush gave the scales a nice aged look. I also started painting the mouth. I used a lighter red for the inside of the mouth and a bubbly pink for the tongue. I like adding a bit of levity to some of the macabre creatures I paint. It seems to me that something that usually looks cute, on the face of something terrifying, would only amplify the terror with its discordance.

After the inner mouth I painted the outer mouth, that is, the gums and teeth. I used a fleshy pink for the gums and a bone color for the teeth. Once the paint was dry, I added a flesh wash to the gums and a little to the teeth to give them an aged look. I painted the smaller eyes on the stalks, white with red slitted pupils. For the base, I used a dark gray for the base coat and dry brushed a lighter gray over the darker one. It created a great stone effect for the base.

This was also my first foray into basing materials. I had just acquired a moss like material that I was eager to use. I added some basing glue to the areas I wanted to cover and pressed some of the moss over the glue. After letting it dry for a few hours, I overdo it sometimes just to be sure that the glue dries properly, I brushed off all the excess and this was the final result. I was in love with the effect the moss gave the base. It was really brought to life that way.

Have any questions or comments? Message below or find me on Twitter @DnDWifeStories and on Instagram @dndwife. I would love to hear from you!

Published by dndwife

My husband and I run a dungeons and dragons table together and I write about our crazy adventures both in and out of the story. My husband DM's and I am the table artist. I paint minis for everyone at the table and provide crafted gifts like dice boxes, bags, and artwork.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: