Miniature Showcase

Big Project WIP: Belly

One of the final pieces left on the big portion of this miniature was the belly. The torso had the inside of the belly but there was an outer piece that needed to be painted and attached before the rest of the miniature could be assembled. This part consisted of a bit of flesh around a stomach cage of bone.

I began by painting the people trapped inside the belly cage with a Fair Skin paint. I also began painting the flesh portions of the cage in the same color as the rest of the giant monster. I began by painting the base color with my Lich Skin paint. This is just such a crazy miniature with so many components. It was also a small piece so painting detail into it was always going to be a challenge.

Next, I gave the skin some texture. I used a larger brush to apply liberal amounts of Flesh Wash to the skin on all the trapped people. It adds shadow to the skin and changes in the color that naturally appear. I allow the paint to pool where it can in some areas to add even more shadow to the flesh. Already the people are looking more alive than before. Since seeing this miniature for the first time, I have wondered what the people were in there for. Then I realized, I probably don’t want to know.

I applied the next step for the Lich skin base which involved dry brushing some Zombie Flesh green paint onto the base to add the tone changes I want to appear throughout the skin of this thing. I also painted the cage portion of the belly with my trusty Bone color paint. It really helped clean up the edges of paint and give definition to the different components.

For the final touch on the monster skin, I used my Mouldy Wash effect paint to add dimension to the skin. I love the gross decaying look it gives the monster skin. As with all my washes I let it pool. You always have the option of how much paint to pool it can be small or big. This affects how much shadow and tone difference occurs with the paint. With every layer of paint, the miniature becomes more defined. Each part is highlighted and seen as part of the whole.

One of the final steps was to add some dark tone to the bone cage. I used my Dark Tone wash to age the bone and make it look more dirty. The people inside the cage are really prominent now. This miniature is almost done. The last detail was the blood. I used my Glistening Blood effect paint to add some macabre looks to the trapped people. I also added eyes because nothing is more horrible than seeing your own death.

Have any questions or comments? Message below or find me on Twitter @DnDWifeStories and on Instagram @dndwife. I would love to hear from you!

Published by dndwife

My husband and I run a dungeons and dragons table together and I write about our crazy adventures both in and out of the story. My husband DM's and I am the table artist. I paint minis for everyone at the table and provide crafted gifts like dice boxes, bags, and artwork.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: